When I told my daughter we were invited to stay at a hotel in Southwestern Pennsylvania named Nemacolin she asked "does it have a pool?" Answer: Yes. She was happy!
But Nemacolin is SO much more...
Located on 2000 acres (yep, 2000) in Southwestern Pennsylvania, 70 miles from Pittsburgh, is.. well a... ummm. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with what exactly Nemacolin is so let me start by listing. Yes a list, of everything that is there so you can see why it starts to become overwhelming.
Five lodging options - Falling Rock, Chateau Lafayette, The Lodge, Townhouse and there are even private homes on the property.
We stayed in Chateau Lafayette more on that later, on with the list.
- 18-hole, Pete Dye-designed Championship Golf Course
- Huge Spa
- Healing Center
- Kids Spa
- Fitness Center (yep, huge)
- 4 Pools (my daughter was thrilled)
- Tennis court, Squash court (I'm not even sure of what that is), Croquet Court and Shuffleboard.
- Shooting Academy, Archery and Fly Fishing
- Jeep off road Academy
- Wildlife Academy - Like a zoo with 100 animals!
- Horseback & Pony Rides, Carriage Rides
- Hardy Girls Gym - 8,400' Olympic caliber facilit
- Mountain Biking
- SuperFlyer Zip Line - 3,000ft
- Rock Climbing Wall
- Ropes Course
- Are you starting to understand now why it's SO hard to describe this place?
- Miniature Golf, Disc Golf
- Kidz Klub (yes spelled that way, auto correct went nuts)
- Mystic Mountain - Seven slopes of downhill Skiing (What? Skiing, yep! and Snowboarding)
- Snow Tubing, shoeing, cross-country skiing and Dog Sledding
- Wine Tasting, Wine Cellar
- Art Collection worth 45 Million Dollars (cha-ching)
- Museum Collection of Airplanes and Cars
- 15 Dining Options including the Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five-Diamond Lautrec Restaurant
- 10 Lounges
- Casino - Yes, a real casino with 600 slot machines and 28 table games
- 32,000-square-foot Conference Center with 25 meeting rooms
- Airfield (I you have a private plane, you can land right on property, Taylor Swift did)
- I'm sure I missed a few...
The entire property is luxurious and beautiful but still family friendly, with so many things for kids to do. But there are also many adult only areas if you need to get away.
Our room was located in Chateau Lafayette and it was huge (like everything else) and it had a fireplace which my little warm blooded Florida girl loved!
The outside is designed and inspired by the Ritz in Paris.
In the lobby there are many beautiful Chandeliers which are all Waterford Crystal.
Amazing art is seen throughout the property inside and out.
The staff was incredible and helped make this a wonderful Daddy/Daughter trip that my Daughter will never forget!
The Name: Nemacolin. I was told it's the name of a famous Delaware Indian Chief from 1740 who created a trail that was the most direct route from East to West. That trail became the National Highway and is now called Route 40.
All in the Family: The Owner was Joseph A. Hardy, III, founder of 84 Lumber Company. In 2002, Hardy transferred full ownership of the resort to his daughter, Maggie Hardy-Magerko, who serves as President and Owner, and continues to grow the resort.
Disclosure: Nemacolin hosted my daughter and I But As Always, all of the opinions expressed here are my own.